Friday, August 28, 2009

Here's the Story

So I said I would post more on the birth of Katelyn, so here goes. 

We went in to be induced at 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday, August 11. Not 15 minutes after we got there I was in a hospital gown and in the bed. Yikes. I don't know what I expected, but they don't play around. After answering a few questions and signing all kinds of papers, the nurse hooked my IV up to the Pitocin to start my contractions. They started out mild and gradually increased in intensity. I labored until I finally dilated to about a 3 or 4 (can't remember exactly) and then it was time for the epidural. I think I got it around 1:30. I was excited for the epidural because I had been told how wonderful they are at relieving the pain. Well, it did relieve the pain....on the left side of my body!!! I was still feeling the contractions on my right side and continued to feel them for quite a while...at least another hour and a half I think. The anesthesiologist tried giving me more medicine which still didn't work for my right side, and after a while gave me some other medicine that finally numbed me completely...ahhh relief! I then laid back and actually felt awesome...even fell asleep for a few minutes only to find out about an hour later that it was time to start pushing. So at 6:00 p.m. I started pushing and did so until 8:00. I made a lot of progress, but the baby was just not having it. We then made the decision that a c-section was necessary and so I was wheeled to the operating room. I was feeling exhausted, a little delirious and a bit of relief that this was finally going to be over soon. They prepped me and made sure I was still numb and at 8:29, Katelyn was born. I felt a lot of emotions that day and am glad that I can say it is in the past. However, I do feel like God gives you the strength to get through things that you otherwise would think you could not handle. I am surprised at how well I handled everything, however I couldn't have done it without the support of all my family and friends, especially Justin and my mom. So that's the story in a nutshell. Here are a few more pictures.





No comments: